Virtual Recreation Resources
Welcome to the Town of Los Altos Hills Virtual Recreation Resources page! This is your place for fun, education, and resources through these unprecedented times. We are committed to ensuring that our residents have resources to maintain healthy lives, foster relationships, and continue to make memorable experiences.
This page will be updated with shelter order approved recreation ideas to keep you and your family healthy, entertained, and informed. Please note that we do not endorse or receive funds to advertise any of the third party sites or services listed or referenced on this page.
If you have other ideas or resources that you would like to share with the community, submit them to email@example.com.
Indoor Recreational Offerings:
- Mondays at 9:00 am: Book Chat: Conference call with Librarian Amytha to talk about books on Monday Mornings at 9:00am. All you need is a phone call 415-527-3546. Enter an access code: 5459015 followed by #. It will ask you to say your name and then press #. Then you are in.
- Wednesdays 10:15 - 11:30 am: Pam’s Yoga Fitness is continuing online, get registered by click online registration.
- Thursday, June 4 Noon-12:45 pm on Safe Clean Water and Natural Flood Protection Webinar
- Fridays at 9:00 am: Facebook Live Book Chat: Ask Librarian Amytha any questions about the library questions you might have and she will get you started in the right direction on Friday mornings at 9:00 am. All you need is a computer, device, or smart phone.
- Saturday, June 13th from 10:00 - 11:00 am Clorofil Facebook Live Q&A on backyard chickens
- Saturday, July 11th 10:00 am - Noon Gearing up for Pet Chickens basic class register here.
- Saturday, August 15th from 10 - 12:30 pm Happy and healthy chickens advanced class on register here.
- Daily Monday - Friday at 11:00 am and 5:00 pm Storytime Facebook Live @sccldbookmobile
Indoor Activities for any time :
- Visit the Public Art Committee Digital Gallery
- On-Call Tech Tutoring by Los Altos Hills Youth Volunteers. To book your appointment visit seniortech.simplybook.me or call 650-947-2506. Questions about this service, contact Russell Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our friends at Santa Clara County Library have a bunch of programs for all ages: ESL Conversation Club, Virtual Film Club, Storytime Online, Spring Reading Program, Steam programming,
- Have kids slay your home’s vampire loads using free locally-developed HEA services.
The Compost Video Series is a project provided by UCCE Master Composters. The goal is to give you an overview of composting, tips for building your own composting project, and help with trouble shooting. To access the videos, visit. For more information, contact the ROTLINE 408-918-4640.
This or That Los Altos Hills Spring Edition
Hidden Villa online learning videos: basic care of farm animals, deer ears, woodrats: forest engineers, how to keep plants healthy, and more.
- During the month of May we are collecting design submissions for inspirational banners. Inspire your community and submit to email@example.com.
- Ride Into a Safer Future: A Self-Driving Curriculum brought to you by Waymo
- UCCE’s Compost Education Program Online Vermicomposting Workshop and Compost Basics Workshop.
During shelter in place, it is still is ok to go outside for essential outings, while maintaining social distancing and non-medical nose and mouth face covers are recommended.
- Reconnect with the Los Altos Hills Pathways System. During this time providing free maps available outside the Park sand Recreation Building, 26379 Fremont Road, Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
- Stop by Town Hall with your furry friend! Dog biscuits available outside the Park sand Recreation Building, 26379 Fremont Road, Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. Walk your dogs.
- Ride your horse on pathways or Town Riding Arena at Purissima Park
- Grassroots Ecology: How to Collaborate with Your Landscape: Creating Fire-Resistant Habitat
- Enjoy a hike, walk, run, trail ride through Town Open Spaces
- Remove invasive weeds: stinkwort,oxalis and scotch broom at home, along roadways and pathways
- Grassroots Ecology Backyard Field Guide Activity
- LAH Spring Scavenger Hunt: Solve tricky riddles and submit photos here or via social media #playsafelah (make sure the post is public). Contestants will receive an LAH fanny pack!
- Resident, Scott Vanderlip created LAH Cool Spot: LAH Recreation Trails challenge. Check it out here !
- The Second Harvest Food Bank is in need of extra help during this period of high demand. Sign-up for a shift on the food bank’s website. Consider donating blood to the Red Cross or Stanford Blood Center, your community needs you now more than ever!
- If you have supplies you want to donate Santa Clara County asks that public donations to assist be routed through VMC Foundation
- Community Services Agency (CSA) serves Los Altos, Los Altos Hills and Mountain View. If you are not in a high-risk category (age 65+ and/or having an underlying health condition) and wish to help food distribution, please call (650) 964-4630.
- COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Fun
- Los Altos Community Foundation Nonprofit Relief Fund: redistributes the funds locally based on need, including CSA, CHAC, Women Silicon Valley, Health Trust, Day Worker Center
- Silicon Valley Strong: serves Silicon Valley while working through the City of San Jose
Stay informed with the Town by signing up for Notify Me, with three easy steps.
Los Altos Hills has its own text and voice notification system called Nixle. It is used to keep you informed about situations that could affect public safety. TEXT your zip code to 888777.
Santa Clara County also has a notification system called AlertSCC. The Town uses AlertSCC as a backup system in case Nixle is unavailable. Please register with both services. Click here to register with AlertSCC.
Dial 2-1-1 to get connected to a specialist for personalized assistance.Free, Confidential, 24/7. Available in multiple languages.
Adult Protective Services 24-hour Hotline: call for help, if you or someone you know suspect abuse of a senior or dependent adult 800-414-2002.
The week of April 13th the following community outreach flyer was mailed to all residents.
Free meal information can be found here. Version OptionsVirtual Recreation Resources Headline
Great Plates rolled out by the State launched in Santa Clara County on Friday May 15th. Anyone who meets the criteria will be served: apply here.
Support a local restaurant. Many restaurants are still open for take out or delivery orders. Support your favorites by curbside pickup or ordering through DoorDash, Grubhub, Uber Eats and have it brought to you.
Mental Health and Coping
Fears about the Coronavirus pandemic and maintaining social distancing can significantly affect one’s mental health. Everyone reacts differently to stressful situations, but taking care of yourself, your friends, and your family can help you cope. Below are some general tips from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Alliance on Mental Health.
- Take care of your body
- Be mindful of your news consumption
- Keep busy
- Stay connected with your neighbors, friends, and family.
If you feel as though you need additional help during this pandemic, the National Distress Helpline is there to help. Free online and phone support is available with a trained crisis counselor (available in English and Spanish). Phone: 1-800-985-5990
- Town Hall limited services
- Westwind Community Barn
- Outdoor Fitness Equipment @ Purissima Park
- Playground @ Purissima Park
- Byrne Preserve Parking effective 4/15, a parking closure has been instituted for Byrne Preserve. Please enjoy the Town’s open spaces if you can walk or bike there, but please don’t drive. We are continuing to encourage the community to get outside, but close to home and avoid gatherings outside your household. Social distancing regulations must be observed. The parking area closure was done to manage and reduce crowds that were overwhelming the Preserve. Bicycles are not allowed to be ridden in Byrne Preserve but can be parked at the bike rack.
Senior Shopping Hours:
Draeger’s Market Los Altos 7:00 - 8:00 am Mondays and Thursdays
Safeway Los Altos 6:00 - 9:00 am Tuesdays and Thursdays
Andronico’s Los Altos 7:00 - 9:00 am Tuesdays and Thursdays
Demartini Orchard 7:00 - 9:00 am Daily
Whole Foods Market Los Altos 8:00 - 9:00 am Daily